Training meeting Oct 8, 2021: Respect and Reflect, Repeat, Expand, Stop (Scroll down)
How do we help people learn to communicate without telling them what to say?
1. Recognize communication when it happens- not just speech, not just words.
2. Reflect what you see by using the communication system with or without your own speech.
3. Expand on that like you would in any all-oral verbal conversation. Strategies may include:
- agree or reiterate
- use comments as well as questions to ask for clarification, check to make sure you understood
- let the communicator know when you don't understand something
- mention a similar experience without making the whole conversation about you
- link to other information that you already know about that communicator
- stop talking and modeling when you're done, pause to give your partner a turn to communicate, & recognize whatever they do to communicate when it's their turn
How not to get there:
A better way